Porterfield Airplane Club

Keep the Skinny Birds Flying Safely

I finally got my new bird home yesterday, June 6th, which is the anniversary of it’s first flight in 1941. I had to have a borrowed right mag fitted to complete the journey while I wait for the Slick kit, but at least it’s home.

Views: 240

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congratulations Steve. It's looking good

That’s great! It’s nice she has a low wing hanger partner to keep her company. Did it still have the Eisemann mags? Our Continental did and they were problematic. Cliff at Aircraft Magneto Service informed us no one would  work on them anymore, although parts were still available from Fresno Air Parts. We ended up putting factory overhauled Bendix mags on and they’ve been outstanding. Congratulations!

Mark NC27249

Thanks Mark! Currently the left mag is an Eiseman and the right mag is a borrowed Bendix, because the Eiseman packed up. I’m looking at the Slick conversion kit K4334, but trying to find a kit with mags that aren’t subjected to to a service bulletin. how long since you fitted the Bendix mags? Currently my system is unshielded and the K4334 kit comes with gears, harness and spark plugs.

Mark said:

That’s great! It’s nice she has a low wing hanger partner to keep her company. Did it still have the Eisemann mags? Our Continental did and they were problematic. Cliff at Aircraft Magneto Service informed us no one would  work on them anymore, although parts were still available from Fresno Air Parts. We ended up putting factory overhauled Bendix mags on and they’ve been outstanding. Congratulations!

Mark NC27249

Hi Steve, the Bendix mags have only been on
the engine about 75 hours. There hasn’t been any problems with them at all. I had to pull the engine back in early May and sent it to Georgia to get overhauled. They can’t call it an overhaul unless the mags get overhauled as so they’ll be zero time again. I did put tempest spark plugs in when the new mags went on and have been very happy with them. I also put them in a 172 that I fly.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Tom Porterfield.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter