Porterfield Airplane Club

Keep the Skinny Birds Flying Safely

I have been looking for information on Landing and take off distance for the P.C

and am not finding anything on this topic.

What have you who are experienced with the Porterfield Collegiate to be "real World"

distances ?

Assume Pilot (170 lb.s ??) no passenger, full fuel (13 Am. Gal. ?)

hard surface, no wind, 65 hp Lyc.  There will be differences according to the time on the engine and pilot technique,  but if enough will bring in some input an average 

should evolve.  Or, if I have left something out, feel free to add'

Bill

Views: 422

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bill - I hope a few members respond to this question. If they could add cruise speed/ rpm's/ prop info with landing t/o distances it would sure help someone like me in my performance research. I'm getting very interested in pursuing the Porterfield route. Can't find much actual info on the web.

Morgan,

Good Idea, these are not information that is easily found.  I hope that a number of PC flyers bring  this information.  For some consistency could we have it put in the following list.

Landing Distance

take  off Distance

Cruise speed

RPM for Cruise

Prop used

Hours on engine

Again, "real world" as to my knowledge there is little or no set information on these items.

Bill

I recall doing a check run with my fat @ss in the front (210lb) another 160± in the back (don't do the math) and full fuel. To my surprise it got off the ground in ~1000ft (pavement) which is about the same with just me. The normally anemic 250ft/min climb was severely reduced. This was a short test flight preparatory to going into Oshkosh in 2014. I was not going to do that solo for my first air arrival ever. Taking off on grass (uphill) is 1500+. These numbers are based on my memory and measurements using google maps, either of which may be faulty.

Engine: O145. Prop: Flotorp 69 x 44 which is too short and too deep for this engine. It worked. Cruise near red line for just me is 80mph. With passenger 70mph. Back then ~100SMOH but with fresh(ish) valve work. Landing: no problem. With proper short field technique you could probably get stopped in 500ft or less.

I once sat in on a FAASTeam safety seminar on determining take off and landing performance and graphing it for future calculations.  They stressed that, unless your plane is absolutely as it came from the factory, "your mileage may vary" from the POH, so everyone should do this with their aircraft.  I'll have to find my notes, if anyone wants to know how to perform the test flights to get the required data.  It should start with a pitot static system check, just to make sure you have accurate airspeed indications, otherwise your table will become useless if you ever have to replace the airspeed indicator or the pitot/static tube & plumbing. 

My 41VermonT has a Franklin 90 up front, so my numbers would be similar to what a kit salesman... or Joe Isuzu, would tell you.

October 12, 2018

Joe,

Thank you for the information.  This helps with some of the

information that I was looking for.

Bill

You're welcome Bill. I've got about Forty pages of it. I know it is scarce and rare. More than willing to share the knowledge.

Joseph
Could you send the info you have on the Porterfield to me. Maybe I can figure out how to post it on here for all to share. My e-mail is porterfieldprops@sbcglobal.net
Thank You
Tom Porterfield

Joseph B. Stanistreet said:

Ed, I've got to go thru it. There is history prices, specs, performance, equipment, addition equipment lists, air worthiness Directive summary, a/c spec A720 NWAC
PP, Cnt'l sys, landing gear, structural Insp. Fabric, sassy, rigging, leveling and alts. Drawings, svc bulletins, aw dirs.and lets from the FAA. It's al! in marginal condition and needs to be scanned.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Tom Porterfield.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter