Porterfield Airplane Club

Keep the Skinny Birds Flying Safely

I’m seriously considering a 1940 Porterfield with a Lycoming LP 65.

What are the max winds for flying the plane: pattern airspeeds such as final, climb out, stall, etc.

Is there a POH (Pilot’s Operating Handbook)? It would have this info.

Jack

Views: 262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the world of antique aircraft, Jack, where we fly airplanes that were originally flown by pilots who were trained to fly by the seat of their pants, not chase needles on gauges...so there is no POH and there is no published data, other than on the FAA Type Certificate Data Sheet #A-720, which you can find here: http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library%5CrgMakeModel.ns...

That said (written?), take off and climb out at 60, pattern about 80, approach at 60, 50 over the fence, flare into a 3-point (or wheel land) about 40, stall about 32. Cruise and top speeds are a bit over 100, if she's rigged right (there is a factory manual that explains how to rig her). Crosswinds depend on your ability, reflexes, experience, knowledge, gut, and luck.  The old girls have great rudder authority and you can slip them safely into a shoebox (you won't fly them out though).

Please buy your Collegiate and run her through a flight envelope check, then publish your numbers here, and your methodology, too.  The rest of the membership will be grateful.  We could also use some good checklists.

My girlfriend has a Franklin 90 up front, thus my numbers will differ quite a bit from those with their original 65's, so we're counting on you, Jack!  Welcome to our extended family!

Soft landings,  Andy

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Tom Porterfield.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter