Porterfield Airplane Club

Keep the Skinny Birds Flying Safely

More a question of clarification, I have noted that on some of the Porterfields some have an "N" strut that runs from the top of the rear lift strut to the bottom of  the front lift strut while some ones that have been redone have what appears to be a

straight metal, (wooden?)  rod running from the one lift strut to the other.  

Advantages, disadvantages,  modification ??  

Bill

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are you referring to the Jury strut, which keeps the struts from bowing to the point of bending on the Collegiate?  Or are you referring to Flyabout struts?

Andy,

I believe the correct term is "Jury"  the term "Flyabout" is a new one to me.  Basically, I understand the purpose of both the "N" and straight rod, but was wondering if one is better than the other or if there is a reason for the difference.

Bill

The Flyabout is the Porterfield model 35, usually with a round engine, and the predecesor of the Zephyr and Collegiate.

N struts are rarely used on high wing monoplanes because the wings are adequately braced internally to withstand drag and other aerodynamic forces. If the wing structure is too light, N struts may be required to help withstand these forces. N struts are more commonly used between the upper and lower wings of biplanes to maintain proper incidence, wash-in/out, and decaledge. Some low wing ag planes use them to compensate for the relatively short "leg" of the triangle made by the side of the fuselage.

Andy,

First thank you for the explaination  The term "Flyabout"  I went back to several Porterfield articles and found the planes (flyabouts) you were referring to. 

Bill

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Tom Porterfield.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter