Porterfield Airplane Club

Keep the Skinny Birds Flying Safely

I have a Sensenich Propeller that I intend to sell. I am doing some background research on the prop and would appreciate members feed back and comments.

The prop is a Sensenich Model W72F-44, S/N 59459, 2350 RPM, 65 HP. As I recall, this prop is one we had that came with a Franklin 65 engine.

Looking through the application guide on the Sensenich web site, the prop is applicable to several aircraft with the Franklin engine:

Aeronca L3D

Aeronca 65TF, 65TAF

Interstate S 1 A 65 F

Piper J 3 F 65

Porterfield F P 65

Taylorcraft BF-65, BF-1265, DL-65

Taylorcraft DF-65

Taylorcraft L2E, K

The prop is listed as a either a "Standard Propeller, Climb Propeller, or Cruise Propeller" depending on the aircraft / application ... for the Porterfield, it is shown as a Climb propeller. I seem to remember that my dad said (in so many words) " ... the Porterfield doesn't need a climb prop, it climbs just fine with a standard prop..." (but don't hold me to that....).

The prop seems to be in fair condition. It has been in our house for the last 60 + years, stored flat and kept dry. There is some crackling of the varnish. From what I have been reading, the prop is a "non-lettered" S/N which means the date of manufacture was somewhere between 1931 and 1943. 

Similar props on some other web sites are selling upwards of $3K. I am not sure of the serviceability of the prop and I am continuing my research to see if I have anything else in my dad's records about it.

I will post some photos of the prop in the near future. I would be interested in any information from club members and if I do sell it, I will need advice on the best shipping methods, etc.

Thanks....and "Keep the Skinny Bird Flying"

Bill Skinner

A
Fr

Views: 375

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Bill:

This would be a cruise prop for the slower Pipers and Aeroncas, and a standard or climb prop for the better airfoiled Interstates, Taylorcrafts, and Porterfields.  I haven't seen any actually fetching $3K for a wall decoration, and new Senseniches are about $1700. but who knows?

Soft landings,

Andy

Thanks Andy, good info. I found an old "wanted" post in the Taylorcraft forum for this exact prop. So far I have been unable to contact the person who made the post. I will keep looking however...

Bill.

Andy Gelston said:

Hi Bill:

This would be a cruise prop for the slower Pipers and Aeroncas, and a standard or climb prop for the better airfoiled Interstates, Taylorcrafts, and Porterfields.  I haven't seen any actually fetching $3K for a wall decoration, and new Senseniches are about $1700. but who knows?

Soft landings,

Andy

posting pictures of prop. This prop was on an FP-65.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Tom Porterfield.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter