Porterfield Airplane Club

Keep the Skinny Birds Flying Safely

I am currently at the point in restoration of hooking up the engine ( A65) and mounting the gas tank but notice there is no fuel shut off valve.  Any advice on what type to use?

Views: 52


You need to be a member of Porterfield Airplane Club to add comments!

Join Porterfield Airplane Club

Comment by Terry Bryson on January 12, 2024 at 5:42pm

Thanks Andy and Steve.  Your comments and pictures clear things up.  

Comment by Andy Gelston on January 9, 2024 at 1:29pm

I'll have to look through my old documents, but I recall it being a ball valve, maybe a Weatherhead, with an extension on the lever that has a wee ball on it for the shut-off rod that goes over to the left side of the cockpit. There is also a service bulletin suggesting an elbow with a ball valve and a drain line be installed to sump the tank.

Steve's photos show a round, Curtis quick drain installed in the tank sump, and also the lever extension and shut-off rod.

Comment by Steve Ahrens on December 30, 2023 at 6:02am

Hi Terry, thank you for the post, it prompted me to have a good look at my fuel shut off valve. It has a weep, but I’m not sure if I should venture into pulling it apart or not. Hoping the photos I’ve posted help you. Good luck with the restoration.

© 2024   Created by Tom Porterfield.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter